|Science; Earth and Space Systems
- describe how humans have improved the tools and techniques used in space exploration
- explain how astronauts meet their basic needs in space
- identify the technological tools and devices needed for space exploration
- recognize problems arising from space exploration
- identify the ways in which the development of materials and technology for space exploration has led to the use of new technologies and materials on earth
- accurately use appropriate organizers
- integrate media materials into their writing to enhance their message
Language; Oral & Visual Communication
- demonstrate the ability to concentrate by identifying main points and staying on topic
- use the conventions of oral language, and of the various media, that are appropriate to the grade level
- create a variety of media works
A Link to Learning web-based student learning activity www.linktolearning.com
Suggested Research TopicsCanadarm
After researching your topic using the resources suggested by your teacher
(including the web pages listed below), prepare a presentation to your class
that answers the following questions about your topic.
1. What is it?
2. What is its significance to space exploration?
3. When was it first discovered/invented/developed?
4. What is its future in space exploration?
Use diagrams and graphics where appropriate and keep the presentation brief but clear.
Some web sites to "launch" your research
Star Child http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/StarChild.html
NASA (for students Gr. 5-8) http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/index.html
Canadian Space Agency - KidSpace http://www.space.gc.ca/asc/eng/youth_educators/kidspace/kidspace.asp
Liftoff to Space Exploration (NASA) http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/